GERALD R. FORD ACADEMIC CENTER
Consider Gerald R. Ford for your child if:
- You are seeking highly qualified and dedicated teachers who believe in your child’s potential to learn and achieve.
- You want your child to learn in a college-going culture of high expectations
- You want your child to learn in small classes that foster civic and community leadership, develop character and integrity, and participate in service learning projects.
- You value the stability and consistency of a preschool-to-grade-8 community.
- You want a Chinese or Spanish language requirement.
- You like the concept of single-gender and co-ed classroom. .
- You are willing to sign a contract and fulfill parent/guardian expectations.
AVAILABLE AT FORD
Gerald R. Ford is proud to offer:
- Parent Teacher Community Council.
- English as Second Language (ESL) services.
- Ford’s partnership with Kent School Services Network makes it a “community school” that provides eligible parents and students with access to in-house health and social services to ensure that children are physically, emotionally and socially prepared to learn
- Believe 2 Become.
- Gerald R. Ford Presidential Museum.
- Grand Valley State University
EXCEL AT FORD
ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE: Parents, students, and staff work in partnership to support student achievement. Parents are expected to sign and adhere to a parent contract with clear expectations for attendance at parent events and must ensure their child maintains good attendance and behavior. Single gender classrooms improve student focus and allow for customized teaching and learning.
LANGUAGE: A mandatory Spanish or Chinese language requirement, beginning in PreK, helps prepare students for the real world and global economy.
SCHOOL UNIFORMS: Students at Gerald R. Ford follow a uniform dress code, which removes distractions from the classroom, promotes community, and provides a cost saving to families.
BEFORE AND AFTER SCHOOL: The LOOP program, available after school, offers academic support and enrichment along with recreational activities. Students have the opportunity to participate in extracurricular clubs, which may include music, drama, Odyssey of the Mind, robotics, chess, Academic Games, and more. Athletics will also be offered after school.
RULES, SAFETY, DISCIPLINE: All GRPS schools provide Positive Behavioral Interventions and Support (PBIS). PBIS is a proactive, team-based framework for creating and sustaining safe and effective schools. Educators emphasize prevention of problem behavior, development of pro-social skills, and the use of data-based problem solving for addressing existing behavior concerns. The result is a fair, firm and consistent approach to rules, safety, and discipline.