SOUTHWEST COMMUNITY CAMPUS
Consider SWCC for your child if:
- You are seeking teachers who believe in your child’s potential to learn and achieve.
- You want your child to learn in an environment of high expectations..
- You want your child to have opportunities for bilingual literacy instruction.
- You need a school for an English as a Second Language (ESL) student.
- You value an education that focuses on strong character values.
AVAILABLE AT SWCC
Southwest Community Campus is proud to offer:
- Parent Teacher Community Council
- The SWCC partnership with Kent School Services Network makes it a “community school” that provides eligible parents and students with access to in-house health and social services to ensure that children are physically, emotionally and socially prepared to learn.
- I Believe I Become parent network, supported by LINC Community Revitalization, provides opportunities for motivated parents and community members to meet and support one another.
- SWCC is a Schools of Hope reading and mentoring site with over 100 students receiving help from more than 100 volunteers.
EXCEL AT SWCC
ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE: SWCC was awarded the “Meijer Good Schools” designation for its academic and instructional improvements. Students have the opportunity to participate in academic events including the annual school-wide science fair. The school continues to meet federal AYP requirements and improve M-Step scores. SWCC students also benefit from strong parental involvement.
CULTURAL CENTER AND DUAL IMMERSION PROGRAMMING: SWCC is one of 18 designated “Cultural Centers” with highly qualified bilingual teachers providing support for English Language Learners. SWCC is one of the only schools in West Michigan to offer a proven English/Spanish dual immersion program, which results in students becoming proficient in both English and Spanish.
SCHOOL UNIFORMS: Students at SWCC follow a uniform dress code, which removes distractions from the classroom, promotes community, and provides a cost saving to families.
CULTURAL CENTER FOR ENGLISH LANGUAGE LEARNERS: SWCC offers a specialized cultural center for English Language learners.
ELEMENTARY AND MIDDLE SCHOOL ATHLETICS: Students can participate in a variety of sports.
AFTER SCHOOL: The LOOP program, available after school, offers academic support and enrichment along with recreational activities.
RULES, SAFETY, DISCIPLINE: All GRPS schools provide Positive Behavioral Interventions and Support (PBIS). PBIS is a proactive, team-based framework for creating and sustaining safe and effective schools. Educators emphasize prevention of problem behavior, development of pro-social skills, and the use of data-based problem solving for addressing existing behavior concerns. The result is a fair, firm and consistent approach to rules, safety, and discipline.