School Uniforms Required – Required Fall 2015/16 for Elementary, K-8, Middle, and High Schools
As part of the Transformation Plan, over three years, the district is phasing in a new school dress code requiring all students to wear school uniforms.
When will my child's school require school uniforms?
- All elementary and K8 schools for the 2013-2014 school year
- All middle schools for the 2014-2015 school year
- All high schools/alternative schools for the 2015-2016 school year
Note: Most center-based special education programs are exempt, however KEC Oakleigh K-8 and the elementary Oral Deaf and Physically Impaired Programs at Ken-O-Sha will have uniforms.
Why is GRPS requiring uniforms?
The proven benefits of school uniforms include:
- Increased focus on teaching and learning
- Reduced distraction, peer pressure, and behavioral issues
- Cost savings to parents/families
- Strengthened school pride
- Improved school safety
What are the requirements?
Tops: Collared shirts, vests, sweaters.
- Navy blue
- Light blue
- Orange (additional option for southeast side schools)
Bottoms: Pants, shorts, dresses, and skirts. Denim, sweatpants, and leggings are not permitted to be worn as pants.
- Navy blue
GRPS has a number of “preferred vendors” to assist parents in purchasing school uniforms with affordable, accessible, and high quality clothes.
The vendors include:
Uniforms may be purchased at select locations in greater Grand Rapids including:
- Meijer #20 2425 Alpine Ave. NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49544 (uniforms available year-round)
- Meijer #36 5500 Clyde Park Ave. SW, Wyoming, MI 49509
- Meijer #50 5531 28th St. SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49512
- Meijer #311 1540 28th St. SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49508 (uniforms available year-round)
There are three ways to shop.
Online: Go to landsend.com/school and create or sign in to your account. Include your student and school information in My Account (or find your school using the "preferred school number search": 900163445). Start shopping with your personalized product checklist.
Phone: Call 1-800-469-2222 and reference your student’s preferred school number 900163445, grade level, and gender. A team of consultants is available 24/7 for assistance.
In-Store: Visit your local Lands’ End at Sears store. Their associates can help you with sizing information and you can place your preferred school order online via the store kiosk. Please note, Lands’ End at Sears stores may have a limited product assortment (no logo’d merchandise is available in the store).
School Uniforms by Screen Ideas is a family owned and operated company that can help you with all of your school uniform needs.
Uniforms can be purchased online by clicking here.
You may also download an order form here and return it to:
3257 Union St SE
Wyoming, MI 49548
Shop for all your uniform needs at the Office Depot Grand Rapids Public Schools store!
- All orders ship directly to your home, with NO charge for shipping.
- All uniform separates are in-stock, ready to ship immediately.
- No need to use any reference #’s or account information
- Using the GRPS store is easy! Just find the item that you want, choose a color, and place the order. If you have questions about a size, please refer to the handy size chart right on the site.
Goodwill offers new and gently used school uniforms year-round at the following locations:
29th Street Store
3270 29th St. SE
Kentwood, MI 49508
54th Street Store
5487 S. Division Ave.
Wyoming, MI 49548
956 Michigan St. NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49503
1655 4 Mile Rd NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49525
870 28th St. SW
Wyoming, MI 49509